Thursday, December 2, 2010

Small blessings.

Wow! I just found out that I won $25 to the battle creek boutique in Pleasant Grove. It might seem like something awesome and just a coincidence, but this is such a small miracle.
Just yesterday we were going over the budget and realized that Christmas wasn't really going to be a Christmas for us this year. The kids got taken care of early, so no need to worry about them. They are going to be set. But, Robert and I had agreed, just last night, that our budget for one another was about fifty dollars. I was so relieved to set a smaller budget this year, but it's very humbling to know that you won't get what everyone else will be getting. It's really embarrassing when you get asked the dreaded question "What did you guy's get this year?" (I'm so emotional about this) I don't like answering "beads" because you always get "what else?" What can you say to that? You would try to act happy and make up some excuse like "We wanted to keep it simple this year", or "We are waiting for the sales next week".
I'm not saying that we are poor or destitute, by any means. We do have a little nest egg in our savings account. We have a roof over our heads and clothes on our backs. We pay our bills on time and we are able to feed our children and we manage to gain unwanted weight, so we have sufficient for our needs. There are many other people in this state and even town that are worse off than we are.
But still, this $25 will help this year, not very much, yet it's a small burden lifted off our backs. We'll be able to get some stocking stuffers and maybe a family gift as well. I am so grateful for this wonderful blessing!

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel! Most of our Christmases have been like that too. It was a big adjustment for me when we first got married because my parents spoiled us at Christmas. I think our first year all we could afford was a $15 gift set from Bath and Body Works and Drew got something that was $15. I think it's better to have a small Christmas than to go into debt to have a big one! Oh,I also had to save up tip money from beauty school to buy a tree. It ended up being one of those tiny tabletop ones! ;)

    ReplyDelete